Mecca. Shangri-La. Heaven. Call it what you will, Austin, TX is a very special place. There’s this vibe to Austin that is unlike any other place. I was raised an hour down the road from Austin in San Antonio, and this urbanized hippie hollow has always been special to me.
A couple of days ago, I found myself back in the holy land for few hours. This was a work trip, but c’mon, I couldn’t pass up a chance to slip into Waterloo Records (Quick visual – think High Fidelity with a little more heart) for an hour or so. Sweet Providence, there was vinyl everywhere, an entire wall dedicated to Texas Brewed music and I even found a limited edition 10th Anniversary Big Lebowski DVD Set. Life was good.
Reconnecting with my musical roots reminded me that I’ve been meaning to post a mixtape of the tracks that I’ve been living with all summer long. I know that the folks in my office are ready for me to move on to some different music, but, I go back to this playlist at least every other day.
You can download the entire mix here. [ZIP]
- When Water Comes To Life / Cloud Cult
- White Winter Hymnal (Black Dominoes remix) / Fleet Foxes
- A-Punk / Vampire Weekend
- Fools / The Dodos
- Bag Of Hammers / Thao [MP3]
- Lolita / Throw Me The Statue
- Like It Or Not (Version 2) / Architecture In Helsinki
- Pork and Beans / Weezer
- I’m Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You / Black Kids [MP3]
- Crawl / Kings Of Leon
- Them Kids / Sam Roberts
- Right Hand On My Heart / The Whigs
- In A Cave / Tokyo Police Club
- Great DJ / The Ting Tings
- Death To Los Campesinos! / Los Campesinos!
- The Good Old Days / The Lodger
- 5 Years Time / Noah And The Whale
- Tonight I Have to Leave It / Shout Out Louds
- Abandon / French Kicks
- Black Fur / Fredrik
- Heretics (Early Version) / Andrew Bird [MP3]
- First Sight / These United States
- Sunshine / Paul Westerberg
Merry End of Summer!
I’m out of words now…