It’s the sport of kings, better than diamond rings – football!
I really love football season. It’s an honest passion, I was raised in Texas and at some point during pre-school all male children are set aside and brainwashed with the need to hold a ball made of pigskin and paint eye-black on their faces. The girls are spared this indoctrination mostly because they have no time for it, given the endless hours of training they receive in aquanet bang-amplification.
Thankfully I’m not the only one who feels this way about football, and at some point in our nation’s history some very wise (obviously holy men) reserved the Sabbath as the day for the NFL to be on display for all to see. Rather than nap on Sundays, I revel in the slobber-knocking sanctity of multi-millionaires playing a boys game. As an advertising pro I’m doubly rewarded because of the ads that are broadcast during this window of awesomeness. “It’s research.”, I tell the family.
As I’ve watched the games this fall, I’ve been struck with how heavily the ads have relied on their soundtrack. As I’ve gone on record before, I’m a sucker for excellent song selection in tv commercials. Shacking up with another passion of mine, mixtapes, the following was born:
1. Evolve [Extended] / Kermit Quinn
2. Home (RAC Mix) / Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
3. The Power Is On / The Go! Team
4. There Goes My Love / The Blue Van
5. Light of the Morning / Band of Skulls
6. Howlin’ For You / The Black Keys
7. Short Skirt/Long Jacket / Cake
8. Check Yo Self / Ice Cube
9. Come Home / Chappo
10. Say Hey (I Love You) [feat. Cherine Anderson] / Michael Franti & Spearhead
11. Paradise Circus (Gui Boratto Remix) / Massive Attack
12. Creep / Vega Choir
Just for kicks, see if you can identify the commercial that goes with each song.
I’m out of words now…